Friday 21 September 2012

First draft of my PWP


TRANSLATING A TEXT: FACTORS THAT ARE INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS


Diana Carolina Monedero Solís
 
The translator's objectivity and subjectivity in the process of translating a text (narrative, argumentative, descriptive, etc.) are relevant factors that can affect, positively or negatively, the purpose of the author (writer) and also the sense of the text. This phenomenon can happen because the activity of translating a text involves the translator's knowledge, his/her culture and language, as well as the respect for what has been written in another language (the text). Mariano García-Landa proposed the following definition of translation: “translators reproduce with a second sign system (language) in a second speech act (‘language game’) the percepts produced by other speakers/writers in a first speech act (‘language game’) with a first sign system”1. This definition bring us to think in the process of getting the sense of the text we want/need translate, and then in the process of finding words in another language to composed the original sense again.

I think this topic is relevant to our field (foreign languages teaching) because as teachers, we need to know how get and keep the sense and the purpose of a text that we or our students need/want to translate. Also, it is relevant because of the material and authors that make part of this study and their theories. Some author as Mariano García-Landa give us new and valuable information about translation and its factors.
My purpose of writing this text, as a personal writing project, is to know the art of translating in order to enrich my knowledge, as well as present to the foreign languages students and teachers some theories and authors in the field. In fact, I am working in some theories and researches about the factors that involve the process of translating a text because this topic is so new for me.

1 García-Landa, M. (2006). On Defining Translation. Meta: Translators' Journal. Volume 51, número 3 , 444.

5 comments:

  1. The topic is quite new for me too. I think you could have developed more this part: "Also, it is relevant because of the material and authors that make part of this study and their theories." I don't get the sense of it. There are some grammatical mistakes, nothing serious. You really catch my attention on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course... when you write, you do ti clearly and objectively. You made a good summary of the topic and I liked hearing your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margareth, I really appreciate your comments because they help me to improve in my writing process. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana I like this topic, actually I was interested for translating and interpretation as topic for my PWP but instead I chose another option. I recommend you this blog: http://blog.bellastraducciones.com/
    There is a blogroll with another interesting blogs about translation, I think it will help you if you read some experiences and thoughts of some translators.

    About the text I think there are some words in parentheses that could be omitted, like (foreign languages teaching) because after that you say: because as teachers. another is (the text) I think that is not new information and it is clear to me that it is talking about the text without framing it in parenthesis.

    I agree with Margareth about the part that says: "Also, it is relevant because of the material and authors that make part of this study and their theories." It is not very clear, I mean, for me it is not clear why the material and authors are relevant to the topic, can you explain it better?

    I hope you will do a great text because is an interesting topic and also that my comments can help you to improve both your text and your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana, I am glad to know that you like this topic. Your comment and Margareth's comments are so constructive to my writing process. I really like peer's review. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete